The weekend choices and picks are in — now no one can say there’s nothing going on! — from the Central Florida Theatre in Process! We have events all over Central Florida – Orlando, Winter Park, Deland, and Sanford, plus tons of auditions, educational programs, and special events!
Each week CFTiP will provide resources and links to a variety of events playing in the Central Florida area, along with news and views! To get involved, join the conversation at our Facebook group by becoming a member at https://www.facebook.com/groups/277284114334/.
Events this weekend include:
* “The Complete Works of Shakespeare (Abridged)” at the Orlando Shakespeare Theatre in the Lowndes Shakespeare Center at Loch Haven Park. The Three Stooges meet The History Channel when three merry men in tights weave their wicked way through all 37 of Shakespeare’s comedies, histories, and tragedies. This show runs tonight through Oct. 7. Tickets are priced at $16-$40, and are on sale now by calling 407-447-1700 or logging on to http://www.orlandoshakes.org/. Student rush tickets are available 30 minutes before each show time. This is rated for general audiences.
* “Parallel Lives” by Mo Gaffney and Kathy Najimy at the Jester Theater Company at the Mandell Theatre in the Lowndes Shakespeare Center, This is a hilarious and thought-provoking collection of scenes originally known as The Kathy and Mo Show. For tickets, log on to http://www.orlandoshakes.org/ or call 407-447-1700. This show is playing Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at 2 p.m.
For info: http://www.facebook.com/events/137517959724261/, or log on to www.jestertheater.com. This show is rated for mature audiences, 16 years old and above.
* “Pete ‘n’ Keely” at the Winter Park Playhouse. This is a hilarious musical comedy, with a preview tonight, when all seats cost $15. The show opens Friday at 7:30 p.m., then continues Saturday at 2 and 7:30 p.m. There are industry discounts available at all regular performances! Reservations are recommended. This show is rated PG. For details, log on to www.winterparkplayhouse.org.
* “Miss Saigon” is playing at the Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center in Sanford. The musical by Alain Boublil, Claude Michel Scoenberg and Richard Maltby Jr. is based on Puccini’s “Madama Butterfly.” The show is performed with a live orchestra. Performances are Friday through Sept. 23, Thursdays through Saturdays at 7:30 p.m., and Sunday matinees at 2 p.m. There are $10 tickets on Tursdays if you tell the box office you ‘work in the industry’.
For info: https://www.facebook.com/WDPAC)/, call 407-321-8111 or log on to www.wdpac.com.
* “Kiss Me Kate” at the Shoestring Theater in Deland, playing Sept. 14-20.
For info: https://www.facebook.com/events/479005705444910/.
* “Blur” by Emotions Dance in Orlando. Emotions Dance asks the question, “Are we really connected to each other?” using contemporary dance. The company explores different facets of everyday life, including social networking, consumerism, and even reality television. Presale tickets are available for a discount. General admission is $18, and students get in for $14 until Friday, Sept. 14 at noon.
For info: https://www.facebook.com/events/132169480256048/, or log on to www.emotionsdance.org. This is a family friendly show for general audiences.
* “Of Mice and Men” is playing at Theatre Downtown in Orlando. This is an American classic tale of friendship and sacrifice, playing Thursdays through Saturdays at 8 p.m., and Sunday, Sept. 15 at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $20 for adults, with special discounts for students and seniors. Call 407-841-0083 for reservations. For details, log on to www.theatredowntown.net. This show is intended for middle school-age students and Up, and has some mature themes.
* “HOOKED: A New Rock Musical” is a Greater Orlando Actors Theatre/88MPH Productions show, at the G.O.A.T Theatre in Winter Park. The show is sponsored in part by Premier Couples Superstar. This is the U.S. Premiere of “HOOKED: A New Rock Musical” by Kinnings, James & Hale. This is a story about impulsiveness, a story about naivety, a story about loyalty, sex and drugs.
It runs through Sept. 16, Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. at 2431 Aloma Ave. #300 in Winter Park. For tickets, call 407-872-8451 or purchase online at www.goatgroup.org. This show is for mature audiences.
For info: https://www.facebook.com/events/270557429721648/.
* “EVERYBODY LOVES CHLAMYDIA” is playingg at the Footlight Theatre at the Parliament House Resort in Orlando on Mondays, Sept. 17 and 24 at 8 p.m. This show is a transfer from the Orlando International Fringe Theatre Festival 2012. It’s a campy comedy where Chlamydia teams up with Promiscuity in a plot to take over the town of Virginity and destroy the world. Tickets are $10 in advance. This is for mature audiences.
For info: http://www.WanziePresents.com/.
* “THE PAPER BAG PRINCESS” runs through Sept. 30 at The REP in Orlando. Tickets start at $11, with public performances on Saturdays and Sundays at 2 and 5:30 p.m. Call 407-896-7365 or visit http://www.orlandorep.com/Index.aspx.
Thinking about applying to the Fringe? Then join the first Fringe Artist Workshop, where there will be information about applications, the lottery, Fringe venues and guidelines! Join Moderator Will Hagaman and a panel consisting of Festival Producer Mike Marinaccio, Artistic Director of Yow Dance Eric Yow, Veteran Orlando Fringe and touring artist Chase Padgett, and Artistic Director of Nobody’s Sweetheart Productions Lindsay Taylor for a panel discussion and Q&A. This event is free and open to the public.
For info: https://www.facebook.com/events/521448724539069/?context=create.
Upcoming special events include:
* United Arts has been selected to compete with charities nationwide for up to $250,000 through the Chase Community Giving program. Central Florida residents can help ensure United Arts’ success through a simple voting system on the Chase Community Giving Facebook page through midnight on Sept. 19, 2012.
How can YOU help? “LIKE” Chase Community Giving on Facebook at facebook.com/ChaseCommunityGiving, then visit http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving to cast your vote for United Arts of Central Florida. You can find them under “Search for Charities.”
You can also help by getting the word out via social networks! Use a variation of the above message as a call-to-action on your own Facebook page, or if you’re on Twitter and would like to repost: Help @UnitedArts win $250K from @ChaseGiving at http://bit.ly/A3DZw #TheArtsMatter.
Upcoming educational programs:
* The Orlando Shakespeare Theater’s essential Shakespeare training is coming up. If you are an actor who is afraid of Shakespeare, you just haven’t met the right classes. It’s truly not intimidating once you learn the basics. These classes are designed to eliminate your “Shakesfeare.” No Shakespeare experience is required. Dates are Oct. 9-30 for four weeks, on Tuesdays from 7-10 p.m. Tuition costs $150.
The first rehearsals of any Orlando Shakes production are devoted to paraphrasing. In this class, actors will learn how to paraphrase Shakespeare into modern speech, find an emotional connection to the lines, and translate those discoveries to Shakespeare’s text.
Register at www.orlandoshakes.org or call 407-447-1700 Ext 208 for details.
* G.O.A.T. is hosting a three week intensive with actor. Dennis Neal!
For info: https://www.facebook.com/events/329016003861114/.
* Adult Acting classes are starting at the Orlando Shakes! ESSENTIAL ACTING TRAINING (EAT) will be now through Sept. 29 for four weeks on Saturdays from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. Tuition is $150. Taste your creative spirit! The Shakes instructors will play with breath, voice, body awareness, and writing from the heart. The class culminates with an original performance piece written by each actor. The instructors are Anne Hering and Suzanne O’Donnell.
Register on-line at http://www.orlandoshakes.org/ or call the Education Department at 407-447-1700 Ext. 208.
Upcoming auditions include:
* “Playfest! The Harriet Lake Festival of New Plays” at the Orlando Shakespeare Theater in partnership with the University of Central Florida. Playfest is holding an equity and non-equity open call. For more information, visit http://orlandoshakes.org/auditions.
Auditions will be held on Thursday, Sept. 20 from 4-8 p.m. at the John & Rita Lowndes Shakespeare Center, 812 E. Rollins St. in Orlando.
For an audition time, email Melissa E. Koerner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* “SEX PLEASE, We’re 60!” holds auditions on Sept. 16-17 at 7 p.m. at Shoestring Theater.
For info: www.facebook.com/events/515452738471458/?ref=notif¬if_t=plan_user_joined.
* “A Tuna Christmas” by the Moonlight Players in Clermont is holding auditions on Sept. 25 from 7-9 p.m. The show runs Nov. 30 through Dec. 16. For more information, call 352-319-1116 or log on to www.moonlightplayers.com.
* Dancer auditions are offered by ME Dance, Inc. on Saturday, Sept. 15 at 8:30 p.m. through Metropolis Productions/Metro Movement & Aerial Arts at 9468 American Eagle Way, Suite 100, in Orlando. Email Auditions@medance.org for gate code access.
Wanted are 18 years or older male and female dancers. A strong dance technique is required, and styles include: ballet, jazz, contemporary, hip hop and tap. A headshot and resume are required.
Sign in begins at 7:30 p.m.
Contact John DiDonna at FreelineOrlando@gmail.com.