Central Florida Theatre in Process will continue to post weekly events/productions/auditions and education programs throughout 2013! Look for two other amazing opportunities to reach out through Central Florida Theatre in Process coming up within the next few months.
Productions opening this week include:
* JOAN CRAWFORD’S HOUSE PARTY is playing at the Parliament House Resort in Orlando. Wanzie Presents is very pleased to announce that Joan Crawford (played by Doug Ba’aser) will once again invite Orlando audiences into her lovely Brentwood home for an intimate house party being hosted with the able assistance of young Christina (Catherine Goodison) Crawford. Joan and Christina and their neighbors (including one played by Josh Eads-Brown) bring the hit of the 2012 Orlando International Fringe Theatre Festival to the Footlight Theatre as the first theatrical offering of the New Year. Written by Jeff Jones, with additional material by Doug, the show was directed by Frank McClain and plays Saturdays starting Jan. 12 through Jan. 26. There will also be a show on Monday, Jan. 28 at 8 p.m. Tickets are $12 in advance, and can be ordered by logging on to www.Wanzie.com or calling 407-540-0317. Tickets are $15 at the door if available.
* “Launch 2013” by the Playwrights’ Round Table runs tonight and Saturday, and Jan. 18 and 19, at 8 p.m., and with Sunday 3 p.m. matinees on Jan. 13 and 20. This will be seven short original comedies and drams by PRT member playwrights. The shows contain adult language and some sexual situations and are not recommended for children. Presented at the Santos Dantin Studio Theatre at the Orlando Shakespeare Center, tickets are $15 general admission, and $12 PRT members, students, seniors over age 65 and military with an ID.
* “Extremities” is a Greater Orlando Actors Theatre production running on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays at 8 p.m. until Jan. 26. The show will take place at GOAT in the Crealde Business Center, 2431 Aloma Ave. #300 in Winter Park. Tickets are $18 for adults, $15 for seniors and students. For information or reservations, call the box office at 407-872-8451 or purchase tickets online now at goatgroup.org.
* Bay Street Players hosts Chase Padgett in his one man musical tour-de-force, 6 Guitars, Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. at the State Theatre, 109 N. Bay St. in downtown Eustis. Featuring original songs and well-known standards from rock, country and blues to Jazz, folk and even classical, this show takes the audience on a hilarious and inspiring journey. It’s a one-of-a-kind show about music, love and lessons learned. All tickets are $15, available by calling the box office at 352-357-7777 or online at baystreetplayers.org.
* Central Florida Community Arts will host the Kick Off of the Spring 2013 season for its CENTRAL FLORIDA COMMUNITY ORCHESTRA on Monday, Jan. 14. The Kick Off will occur from 7-9 p.m. at Howard Middle School, 800 E. Robinson St., in the Band Room) and will continue weekly, with a concert scheduled for March. No auditions are necessary. The season is open to all players, both professional and amateur, from high school through adulthood.
* “Murder at Howard Johnson’s” is playing at the Shoestring Theater in Lake Helen and opens tonight through Jan. 27. The show runs evenings at 8 with Sunday matinees at 2:30 p.m. Call shoestring at 386-228-3777 for details or visit http://shoestringtheatre.net/.
* MOONLIGHT WAREHOUSE THEATRE presents THE 25th ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE! It opens tonight and runs until Feb. 10. Show times are Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m., Sundays at 2 p.m. Call 352-319-1116 for information or reservations.
Continuing Productions (including some final weekends) are:
* BETTER DAYS: AN ALL-NEW SHOW AT SAK COMEDY LAB!, is a scripted, live sitcom performed at Sak Comedy Lab by a cast of some of Central Florida’s most talented actors. The show is written by award-winning writers John Valines and Tod Kimbro. The show runs on Friday nights at 11:30 with a new episode premiering each month. Tickets are available for $10. Sak Comedy Lab is at 29 S. Orange Ave. in downtown Orlando. For more information on “Better Days”, Sak’s other weekly shows, corporate entertainment opportunities, and Sak Comedy Lab’s popular Improv classes, go to http://www.sak.com/ or visit Sak on FaceBook. Dial 407-648-0001 for reservations and discounts on tickets.
* ART by the Titusville Playhouse features Robert Pigott, Stephan Jones and Patrick Sullivan performing for two weekends at their more intimate Emma’s Attic space!
* DRIP is an in-your-face explosion of color and movement backed by a live rock band. It plays every Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and doors open at 7:30 p.m. The show starts a little after 8 at DRIP’s new industrial dive bar on International Drive. Tickets start at $29. Group rates and specials are vailable by logging on to http://www.ILoveDRIP.com.
Upcoming auditions include:
* In the Limelight, a production company and performing arts studio for young people, is casting five productions – plays and musicals for youth grades K-12 – on Saturday, Jan. 12 by appointment. Productions are “Footloose,” “Adventures of Tom Sawyer,” “Ramona Quimby,” “Bridge to Terabithia” and “Disney’s Winnie the Pooh Kids.” Email firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment time. Auditions are at 5555 S. Kirkman Road, Suite 104/105, in Orlando. Visit www.inthelimelightorlando.com for details.
* The Humor Mill Orlando is currently seeking male comedic actors who can sing for its upcoming shows in March and May, including the 2013 Orlando International Fringe Theatre Festival. Experience in sketch comedy or improvisation is a plus. The ability to sing is a must for this group, as they perform multiple musical parodies throughout the shows. Performances are paid. Anyone interested in auditioning can send their headshot and resume to email@example.com. Auditions are on Monday, Jan. 21 at 7:30 p.m. by appointment only.
Educational programs include:
* There will be a free Acting Workshop with Hank Stone, “What It Takes To Become A Working Actor,” from 10 a.m. to noon. After the free morning session, an optional workshop is being offered. “The New Age Of Casting” is a three hour intensive workshop on the casting process and how it has evolved and what you need to do to get booked. The cost is $30 per person or $50 per family. Joining Hank is L.A. Photographer David Laporte. Call 407-333-0021 to reserve a seat at JGroove Studios, 45 Skyline Drive in Lake Mary.
* ADVANCED SCENE STUDY at the Orlando Shakespeare Theater runs through Feb. 25 on Mondays from 7-10 p.m. The tuition cost is $225, and the instructor is John Connon. This class for the experienced actor, and will include scene and monologue work chosen by the actor and instructor. Using a variety of approaches (such as Stanislavski, Mamet, Eric Morris, even Michael Caine), this “actor’s gym” class will serve to introduce actors to new sets of tools to tackle scenes or monologues and to break through the obstacles they may be experiencing in their work. Call 407-447-1700 or visit www.orlandoshakes.org for details.
* A Free Industry Workshop for adults will be on Jan. 14 from 7-10 p.m. at the Truthful Acting Studios, 5542 Hancel Ave. in Orlando. To reserve seats, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* There will be two opportunities to increase your acting skills at The CAST Studio. CAST stands for Commercial Actors Success Training for Adults and Teens. Programs start on Tuesday, Jan. 15 from 7-10 p.m. CAST is an intensive eight-week course for adults and teens, designed for beginners and working actors who want to increase their bookings. Each student will work ON-CAMERA every class at their level and receive individualized critique. To register, call 407-491-6037 or go to www.ShaunaBartel.com.
* ACT stands for Actors on-Camera Training, and it starts Thursday, Jan. 24 from 7-10 p.m. ACT is an eight-week course designed for adults and older teens which teaches the process of making strong, creative acting choices quickly and the technical skills necessary for success in film acting. Call 407-491-6037 to register.
Each week Central Florida Theatre in Process will provide resources and links to a variety of events playing in the Central Florida area, along with news and views! To get involved, join the conversation at our Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/277284114334/.
Contact John DiDonna at FreelineOrlando@gmail.com