Welcome to the New Year’s Edition of CENTRAL FLORIDA WEEKEND CHOICES and PICKS. A happy and inspirational New Year to all!
Productions opening include:
* GOAT’S “THE WORLD AIN’T ENDING: LOST VEGAS” NEW YEAR’S EVE BASH will be on Dec. 31 at 9 p.m.
at the Greater Orlando Actors’ Theatre in Winter Park. This is a New Year’s Eve party! The cost is $20 and includes food, drinks and entertainment.
For information, visit: https://www.facebook.com/events/107498886085380/.
Opening next week:
* Starting Jan. 4, heat up your new year with the sizzling new musical revue Summertime celebrates African American influence on performance art. This production includes heart-warming selections from “Porgy and Bess,” “The Color Purple” and more! Tickets are on sale now by calling 407-841-0083.
For infor: http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/343825152391835/.
* Opening Jan. 4 is A Night For Billy Brown Fundraiser at 7 p.m. at the Orlando Repertory Theatre at Loch Haven Park in downtown Orlando.
Continuing productions (including some final weekends) include:
* DRIP, an in-your-face explosion of color and movement backed by a live rock band. The show runs every Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and doors open at 7:30 p.m. The shows start a little after 8 p.m. at DRIP’s new industrial dive bar on International Drive. Tickets start at $29, and group rates and specials are available.
To learn more, visit http://www.ILoveDRIP.com or https://www.facebook.com/ILoveDRIP.
* SAK Comedy Lab is a 200-seat improv comedy theater in downtown Orlando. Conveniently located at the City Arts Factory’s second floor at 29 S. Orange Ave., SAK performs live improv comedy shows that are fun and suitable for all ages, Tuesdays through Saturdays. Check out the website for more information: www.sak.com.
* Emotions Dance is looking to expand its board of directors. “We are looking for creative minds like you to assist with various parts of the organization including, marketing, securing donations, networking, performance opportunities, etc.,” Emotions notes. “All in all, just furthering the success of this 501c3 arts organization. If you are interested in helping, please privately message me for more information. Please spread the word to others who might be interested as well.”
For details, log on to www.emotionsdance.org.
* Playwrights’ Round Table holds auditions for its newest full-length play, “PINE,” on Wednesday, Jan. 2 and Thursday,Jan. 3. There are lots of great roles in this one, so do not miss out!
* Audition for a new musical preview showcase. FAIREST is a new original musical written by Bryan Daluge and Elaine Pechacek, which is previewing 13 songs from the original score along with narration. The show is in need of 10 vocalists, male and female. Auditions will be held on Sunday, Jan. 6 and is by appointment only. Please send headshot and resume to FairestTheMusical@gmail.com. Performance dates are Feb. 9-10 at The Master Class Theatre in Winter Park.
Educational programs include:
* The Humor Mill Orlando Sketch Comedy troupe announces its Winter 2013 Class offerings, which including Sketch Comedy for Actors, Sketch Comedy for the High School Actor and our Professional Sketch Comedy training program Level One Auditions. Visit www.thehumormillorlando.com for more information on class pricing and dates and times of classes.
Each week Central Florida Theatre in Process will provide resources and links to a variety of events playing in the Central Florida area, along with news and views! To get involved, join the conversation on Facebook at
Contact John DiDonna at FreelineOrlando@Gmail.com.