Well, it is the end of November, and right into December, folks! Welcome to the new edition of CFTiP – CENTRAL FLORIDA WEEKEND CHOICES and PICKS.
New productions opening this weekend include:
* OPENING FRIDAY – “THE FARNDALE AVENUE HOUSING ESTATE TOWNSWOMEN’S GUILD DRAMATIC SOCIETY’S PRODUCTION OF ‘A CHRISTMAS CAROL'”. The Orlando Shakespeare Theater, in partnership with the Uuniversity of Central Florida, at the Lowndes Shakespeare Center in Orlando, is presenting Charlies Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol like you’ve never seen it before! Missing actors, a special appearance by Santa Claus, and a few show-stopping tunes guarantee a night the entire family will never forget. This show is now playing through Dec. 30. Tickets, priced from $16 to $40, are on sale now by calling 407-447-1700. Discounts are available for students and members of the military.
For information, log on to http://orlandoshakes.org or https://www.facebook.com/events/246310802163954/.
* An Evening (Wasted) with The Humor Mill Orlando is at The Breakthrough Theater in Winter Park. This is a “Best of…” show featuring the best of Breakthrough’s original sketch comedy and musical parodies from almost five years in Central Florida. This will be done for three shows only — tonight at 8 p.m. and Saturday, Dec. 1 at 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. Tickets are $16 per person, payable through credit card on Breakthrough Theatre’s website, or cash at the door. This show has adult humor and subject matter.
For info: https://www.facebook.com/TheHumorMillOrlando#!/events/363648153710349/ or www.thehumormillorlando.com.
* Seminole State College is presentin “Cabaret” opening tonight. Tickets are $10 for the general public, and free for Seminole State College students and faculty.
Senior citizens ages 60 and older, and students attending other schools, can pay $8.
To reach the Box office, call 407-708-2040.
For info: http://www.facebook.com/events/363199247103707/.
* Cornerstone Theater Company’s production of COMPANY is now showing at the Mandell Theater at the Orlando Shakespeare Theater at 7 p.m. tonight, and it runs through Dec. 9th. TIckets are $20, while students pay $15. Get tickets by logging on to http://www.cornerstonetheatrecompany.com/#.
* Opening tonight is the Florida premiere of A Christmas Survival Guide at the Garden Theatre in Winter Garden. This hilarious holiday musical runs through Dec 16. Showtimes are Fridays at 8 p.m., Saturdays at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m., Sundays at 2 p.m. Tickets are $29, $25 for students and seniors. This production is starring Caroline Elizabeth Drage, Amy Martin Cole, Sarah Lee Dobbs, Kevin Kelly, and Alexander Mrazek.
* Also opening Friday is A Tuna Christmas at The Moonlight Players in Clermont. This shhow runs for three weeks, with an “industry night” this coming Monday! Bring a program with your name in it from a recent show and receive $5 off admission on Monday, Dec. 3.
For info: http://www.facebook.com/events/350647175030922/.
Productions opening next week include:
* Wally Doogan’s Holiday Revue opens Dec. 7! Have you bought your tickets yet?
And the big question is, will Kathy successfully put on her long-dreamed-of Norwegian holiday variety show? Will Todd ever get that second bowl of pudding he so desperately wants? Can Wally Doogan save the day and bring holiday cheer back to Kathy’s theater? See the show that will put a holiday smile on your face and a song in your heart! It’s at the Princess Theater in historic downtown Sanford.
For info: http://www.celerysoupsanford.com/.
* TWO NIGHTS ONLY: Kate Zaloumes brings her holiday cabaret “Singing Myself Home” to the Winter Park Playhouse, 711-C N. Orange Ave. in Winter Park. Performances are Wednesday, Dec. 5 and Thursday, Dec 6. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $20 and include a drink at the bar. Seating is limited to 54 customers! Standing room tickets may be available when a show is sold out (for $10, no drink included). Reservations are strongly recommended. Call 407-645-0145 or log on to www.winterparkplayhouse.org.
Continuing productions, with some final weekends, include:
* A CHRISTMAS CAROL continues at Theatre Downtown this weekend, Thursday through Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2:30 p.m. There will be caroling in the lobby a half hour before each performance. Come see why this has been a crowd favorite for a dozen years! Call 407-841-0083 for reservations now, or log on to
* STEPPIN’ OUT WITH IRVING BERLIN is a musical revue celebrating the life and works of Irving Berlin, and is suitable for all ages. It’s at the Winter Park Playhouse at 711-C N. Orange Ave. in Winter Park, with performances on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays at 2 p.m., and Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30 p.m. The lobby bar opens one hour before show time, and a live piano bar begins 30 minutes before the show. Industry discount are available at all shows while tickets last. Call 407-645-1045 or log on to www.winterparkplayhouse.org.
* Two from the Bay Street Players are continuing through Dec. 9, including Bay Street Players’ production of Plaid Tidings at the historic State Theatre in downtown Eustis. The Plaids are back and in a holiday spirit! Call the box office at 352-357-7777 for reservations or book online at baystreetplayers.org.
Also continuing on Sunday, Dec. 2 and Sunday, Dec. 9 is Bay Street Players’ Second Stage production of “Jacob Marley’s Christmas Carol” at the historic State Theatre in downtown Eustis. Call the box office at 352-357-7777 for reservations or book online at baystreetplayers.org. Adult tickets are $12, students pay $7. Curtain time is 7:30 p.m.
* Wanzie’s GLITTERING STAR-STUDDED A CHRISTMAS CAROL: A Dickens’ Inspired Celebrity Cavalcade Holiday Spectacle features special guest star Ryan Gossling as Scrooge. Liza Minnelli as Tiny Tim, Marlee Matlin as Bob Crachit, and his wife played by Joan Crawford. It’s the most twisted version of the Dickens’ classic you’ll ever see, and see it you must as this is the Very last year for this production. Also starring Carol Lee, Doug White, Gidget Galore, Miss Sammy, Wanzie and puppet master Doug Ba’aser, the production runs on Saturdays on Dec. 1, 8, 15, and 22 at 7:30 p.m. at the Footlight Theatre at the Parliament House Resort on Orange Blossom Trail. The ticket price includes complimentary club admission for the remainder of the evening and are $16 in advance, $20 at the door if available. For reservations, call 407-540-0317. An f-bomb spoken here or there, but no nudity, violence, or adult content in this show which is totally safe for teens. Those 13 years old and up are welcome to attend with a parent or guardian. Those under 18 must exit the complex after the show.
Upcoming auditions include:
* Auditions this Wednesday and Sunday at Stages Theatre Company in collaboration with Theatre Downtown, which is presenting “Summertime: A musical tribute to black influence on performance art.” For details, log on to
* Auditions will be held for “The Buddy Holly Story,” at the IceHouse Theater on Dec. 1-2. For details:
* There is a casting notice for “Godspell.” For details:
* There will be auditions for “Les Miserables in Concert” on Dec. 3 from 7:30–10 p.m. at Church of the Messiah, 241 N. Main St. All roles are open. Sign ups are required. Go to www.byyoursideministries.com to sign up and receive audition materials by email. Director Dave Gillum played several roles in “Les Mis” on Broadway, in addition to understudying Michael Crawford as the “Phantom of the Opera” and playing the title role in “Jesus Christ Superstar” during the Broadway tour.
* There is a call for artists from Aradhana Tiwari.
For details: http://www.facebook.com/notes/aradhana-tiwari/call-for-artists/10152285025220198.
* The Murder Mystery Company is hiring in Kissimmee. They are seeking actors (male and female) who must have: experience with improv, dinner theater and/or interactive theater, a very outgoing personality, reliable transportation and a flexible schedule. Actors are paid for each show they perform in, and get reimbursed for gas.
Submit a headshot and theatrical resume to email@example.com, with the subject heading “Kissimmee Auditions” to be considered.
Check them out at www.grimprov.com.
Upcoming educational programs include:
* Stevie Vallance is coming to Orlando on Dec. 8-9 to teach an animation V/O class. If you want to break into the world of cartoons, then this is the class you need.
For details: http://toonedin.ca/workshops-skypes–demos.html.
If you’re a comedian or a ‘character actor,’ check out Stevie’s workshops on ANIMATION VOICE-OVER ACTING on Dec. 8-9.
Each week Central Florida Theatre in Process will provide resources and links to a variety of events playing in the Central Florida area, along with news and views! To get involved, join the conversation at our Facebook group by joining our group at www.facebook.com/groups/277284114334/.
Contact John DiDonna at FreelineOrlando@gmail.com.