Welcome to the new edition of CFTiP – CENTRAL FLORIDA WEEKEND CHOICES and PICKS.
New productions opening include:
* Dickens By Candlelight 15th Anniversary is a true Orlando tradition, an event that begins with caroling and continues into an immersive theater experience complete with tea and cookies played out in candlelight. Shows are Saturday through Sunnday, Dec. 23 at varied times at the Dr Phillips Center at Lake Ivanhoe. All tickets are $35, with group rates and specials available.
Learn more at http://www.dickensbycandlelight.com/Dickens_By_Candlelight/Welcome.html and
* FA-LA-LOLLIES, with an original script by Joel Warren, is being presented by the Young People’s Theatre of Bay Street Players Thursdays through Saturdays at 7 p.m., Sundays at 2 p.m., at the State Theatre, 109 N. Bay St. in downtown Eustis. Tickets for adults are $10, and students pay $5.
It’s Christmas Eve and all the trees on Kringle’s Farm are going home to wonderful families, but Ebeneezer Spruce has forgotten the true meaning of Christmas. On his journey to find the Christmas spirit, he encounters classic characters who will leave you glowing with holiday cheer.
This production is generously sponsored in part by Marshall Financial Group of Mount Dora.
For info: www.http://baystreetplayers.org/Follies_Christmas_Show.html.
Continuing productions include:
* This is the LAST WEEKEND for SCROOGE! The Musical at the Athens Theatre in downtown DeLand. Don’t miss the classic Christmas tale, which ends Sunday, Dec 16. Buy tickets online at www.athensdeland.com.
* A CHRISTMAS CAROL continues at Theatre Downtown every Thursday through Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sundays at 2:30 p.m. through Dec. 23. Due to sold out performances and overwhelming demand, an additional show has been added on Wednesday, Dec. 19. Call 407-841-0083 for reservations. Come see the classic Dickens tale come to life! Log on to www.theatredowntown.net for more information.
* This is the final FINAL WEEKEND for A Tuna Christmas! Come see the comedic production that critics are calling “a show that is so much fun you’ll want to slap your granny!” It’s playing tonight and Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m.. Come watch as two men take on 22 characters in two hours in this hysterically funny comedy. Click for more information on http://www.facebook.com/events/350647175030922/.
* This is the final weekend of STEPPIN’ OUT WITH IRVING BERLIN, a musical revue celebrating the life and works of Irving Berlin, suitable for all ages, at the Winter Park Playhouse, 711-C N. Orange Ave. Performances are tonight and Saturday at 7:30. The lobby bar opens one hour before show time, and live piano bar begins 30 minutes before show time. Industry discount available at all shows while tickets last. Call 407-645-1045 or visit www.winterparkplayhouse.org.
* “THE FARNDALE AVENUE HOUSING ESTATE TOWNSWOMEN’S GUILD DRAMATIC SOCIETY’S PRODUCTION OF ‘A CHRISTMAS CAROL’” is being presented by the Orlando Shakespeare Theater in Partnership with the University of Central Florida at the Lowndes Shakespeare Center in Orlando. This is Dicken’s “A Christmas Carol” like you’ve never seen it before! Missing actors, a special appearance by Santa Claus, and a few show-stopping tunes guarantee a night the entire family will never forget. Now playing through Dec. 30, tickets are priced at $16-$40, and on sale now by calling 407-447-1700.
For info: http://orlandoshakes.org or https://www.facebook.com/events/246310802163954/.
* Wanzie’s GLITTERING STAR-STUDDED A CHRISTMAS CAROL: A Dickens’ Inspired Celebrity Cavalcade Holiday Spectacle is the most twisted version of the Dickens’ classic you’ll ever see, and this is the Very LAST YEAR for this production. Shows are Saturdays through Dec. 15 and 22 at 7:30 p.m. at the Footlight Theatre at The Parliament House Resort. Ticket price includes complimentary club admission for the remainder of the evening: $16 in advance and $20 at the door, if available.
For reservations, call 407-540-0317.
* SAK Comedy Lab is a 200 seat improv comedy theater in downtown Orlando. Conveniently located at the City Arts Factory’s second floor at 29 S. Orange Ave., SAK performs live improv comedy shows that are fun and suitable for all ages, Tuesdays through Saturdays.
Check out the website for more information: www.sak.com.
* A Christmas Survival Guide at the Garden Theatre in Winter Garden is a hilarious holiday musical that ends on Sunday, Dec 16. Showtimes are tonight at 8, Saturday at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m., and Sunday at 2 p.m. Tickets are $29, $25 for students/seniors.
Upcoming auditions include:
* Auditions for “ONCE ON THIS ISLAND” will be held at the Greater Orlando Actors’ Theatre in Winter Park on Saturday and Sunday. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 407-872-8451 to schedule an audition date and time. Click on the link below for more details:
* The Vine Theatre in partnership with Theatre Downtown presents GODSPELL. Auditions will be today at 6 p.m., and callbacks will be Saturday. Auditions will be held at The Space at Orangewood, 1300 Maitland Boulevard. The production team is looking for male and female actor/singers 20-40 years of age. Playing any type of musical instrument is a plus. Keyboard and drums will be provided. Please prepare a one minute monologue of your choice and 32 bars of a song to be sung acapella. This production will open Feb. 22 and run for four weeks at Theatre Downtown. Rehearsal information will be posted at the audition. All roles are available. Compensation is provided.
Email email@example.com to schedule your appointment.
For info: https://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/aradhana-tiwari/casting-notice-godspell/10152299892185198.
Upcoming educational ewvents include:
* The Humor Mill Orlando Sketch Comedy troupe announces its Winter 2013 Class offerings, including Sketch Comedy for Actors, Sketch Comedy for the High School Actor and Professional Sketch Comedy training program Level One auditions. Visit www.thehumormillorlando.com for more information on class pricing and dates and times of the classes.
* Enroll now for Spring Classes and camps with The Orlando REP Youth Academy! Auditions for the productions of “Honk Jr.” (third to eighth grade) and “The Wild Adventures of Robin Hood” (also 3rd-8th grade) are this Saturday, Dec. 15! Call 407-896-7365, Ext. 219 to schedule an audition appointment.
* Also on Saturday, there will be a FREE INDUSTRY WORKSHOP: Truthful Acting Studios in Orlando, offering an overview of what it takes to be a successful actor. If time allows, they will go over your marketing materials with you as well.
For info: http://www.truthfulacting.com/registration_wsind1212.asp.
Each week Central Florida Theatre in Process will provide resources and links to a variety of events playing in the Central Florida area, along with news and views! To get involved, join the conversation at our Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/277284114334/.
Contact John DiDonna at FreelineOrlando@gmail.com.