New productions opening this weekend include:
* Opening at St. Margaret Mary Winter Park, the Central Florida Vocal Arts presents Amahl & the Night Visitors, who will be appearing in venues throughout Central Florida this month on select Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. There is a suggested $10 Donation, $20 for families.
For information, log on to: http://www.facebook.com/events/395498927189944/?ref=ts&fref=ts.
* The Playwrights’ Round Table’s Second Sundays Play Reading Workshop will be from 1-3 p.m. this Sunday. This event is free and open to the public, and is being held at Sleuth’s Mystery Dinner Theatre at 8267 International Drive.
* CHRISTMAS AT THE MOVIES is being presented by the Central Florida Community Arts tonight at 7:30 at the Northland Church, 530 Dog Track Road in Longwood. There will be general admission seating, and the cost is $10 per ticket. Age three and under are admitted for free. This show is appropriate for all ages.
Join the Central Florida Community Choir, with more than 220 voices, as it presents “Christmas at the Movies,” a family-friendly concert of songs from holiday-themed movies and TV specials from the early 1900’s onward – including “White Christmas” to “The Polar Express,” they’re all there!
Directed by Joshua Vickery, backed by a live orchestra and with participation from the Central Florida Community Dance Team, “Christmas at the Movies” will help you relive some of your most favorite televised Christmas shows and movies!
More information and and ticketing can be found at: http://www.cfcommunitychoir.com/home/index.php/component/content/article/10-blog/events/65.
* Wally Doogan’s Holiday Revue opens on Friday! Have you bought your tickets yet? Will Kathy successfully put on her long-dreamed-of Norwegian holiday variety show? Will Todd ever get that second bowl of pudding he so desperately wants? Can Wally Doogan save the day and bring holiday cheer back to Kathy’s theater? Come see the show that will put a holiday smile on your face and a song in your heart! See you at the Princess Theater in Historic Downtown Sanford.
Opening next weeK:
* Dickens By Candlelight — The 15th Anniversary is a true Orlando tradition, an event that begins with caroling and continues into an immersive theater experience complete with tea and cookies played out in candlelight. The performances run Saturday, Dec. 15 through Sunday, Dec. 23 at varied times at the Dr. Phillips Center at Lake Ivanhoe.
All tickets cost $35, and group rates and specials are available.
To check out the Website, visit: http://www.dickensbycandlelight.com/Dickens_By_Candlelight/Welcome.html.
Continuing productions (including some final weekends) include:
* Cabaret has its closing weekend at Seminole State College on Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. Tickets prices are the general public are $10, and free for Seminole State students and faculty. Senior citizens ages 60 and older and students attending other schools can pay $8. Call the box office at 407-708-2040.
* A CHRISTMAS CAROL continues tonight and Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2:30 p.m. at Theatre Downtown. Come see this holiday classic now in its 12th year! Call 407-841-0083 for reservations. Tickets are $20, and $16 for students and seniors). Many shows are already sold, out so call now, or log on to ww.theatredowntown.net.
* A Tuna Christmas continues for the next two weekends on Thursdays at 7 p.m., then Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at 2 p.m. Come see this hilarious two-man show that features 22 characters! It’s Christmas in the small town of Tuna Texas. Who will win the radio station-sponsored Christmas yard display contest? Will the infamous Christmas phantom ever be caught? Come find out and giggle your way straight into the bathroom! For more information, visit www.MoonlightPlayers.com.
* STEPPIN’ OUT WITH IRVING BERLIN is a musical revue celebrating the life and works of Irving Berlin. Appropriate for all ages, it’s showing at the Winter Park Playhouse, 711-C N. Orange Ave. in Winter Park. Performances are Saturday and Sunday at 2 p.m., and Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. The lobby bar opens one hour before show time, and the live piano bar begins 30 minutes before show time. Industry discounts are available at all shows while tickets last. Reservations are strongly recommended. Call 407-645-1045 for tickets, or log on to www.winterparkplayhouse.org.
* THE FARNDALE AVENUE HOUSING ESTATE TOWNSWOMEN’S GUILD DRAMATIC SOCIETY’S PRODUCTION OF ‘A CHRISTMAS CAROL’ is a production by the Orlando Shakespeare Theater in partnership with the University of Central Florida at the Lowndes Shakespeare Center. They are presenting Dicken’s “A Christmas Carol” like you’ve never seen it before! Missing actors, a special appearance by Santa Claus, and a few show-stopping tunes guarantee a night the entire family will never forget. Now playing through Dec. 30, tickets are priced at $16-$40, and are on sale by calling 407-447-1700. Discounts are available for student and the military.
Log on to http://orlandoshakes.org to learn more.
* Continuing through Sunday is the Bay Street Players’ production of Plaid Tidings at the historic State Theatre in downtown Eustis. The Plaids are back and in a holiday spirit! Call the box office at 352-357-7777 for reservations or book online at baystreetplayers.org.
Also continuing on Sunday is the Bay Street Players’ Second Stage production of “Jacob Marley’s A Christmas Carol” at the historic State Theatre in downtown Eustis. Adult tickets are $12, and for students, $7. The curtain time is 7:30 p.m.
* Wanzie’s GLITTERING STAR-STUDDED A CHRISTMAS CAROL: A Dickens’ Inspired Celebrity Cavalcade Holiday Spectacle is a comedy/musical revue with special guest star Ryan Gossling as Scrooge, Liza Minnelli as Tiny Tim, Marlee Matlin as Bob Crachit and his wife played by Joan Crawford. It’s the most twisted version of the Dickens’ classic you’ll ever see, and see it you must as this is the very last year for this production. Also starring Carol Lee, Doug White, Gidget Galore, Miss Sammy, Wanzie and puppet master Doug Ba’aser, it plays on Saturdays through Dec. 22 at 7:30 p.m. at the Footlight Theatre at The Parliament House Resort. Ticket prices include complimentary club admission for the remainder of the evening — $16 in advance, or $20 at the door, if available. For reservations, call 407-540-0317.
* A Christmas Survival Guide plays at the Garden Theatre in Winter Garden. This hilarious holiday musical runs through Dec 16. Show times are Fridays at 8 p.m., Saturdays at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m., and Sundays at 2 p.m. Tickets cost $29 and $25 for students and seniors. The show stars Caroline Elizabeth Drage, Amy Martin Cole, Sarah Lee Dobbs, Kevin Kelly, and Alexander Mrazek.
* The Cornerstone Theater Company’s production of COMPANY is playing at the Mandell Theater in the Orlando Shakespeare Theater at 7 p.m. through Sunday. Tickets cost $20, while students pay $15. Get tickets by logging on to http://www.cornerstonetheatrecompany.com/#.
Upcoming auditions include:
* The Princess Theater in downtown Sanford will hold auditions for A BAD YEAR FOR TOMATOES by John Patrick, directed by Larry Stallings, on Sunday and Monday. Auditions begin at 7 both nights. Actors should plan to arrive between 7-8 p.m. The cast consists of four women and three men, all over the age of 35. Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script.
The Princess Theatre is at 115 W. 1st St. in Sanford, and performances run Jan. 25 through Feb. 10.
* The Greater Orlando Actors’ Theatre is holding auditions for the musical ONCE ON THIS ISLAND and is looking for all types. All roles are available. All roles are unpaid.
Click on the link below for details:
* The Vine Theatre in partnership with Theatre Downtown presents GODSPELL. Auditions will be Saturday, Dec. 8 and Friday, Dec. 14 at 6 p.m. Callbacks will be Saturday, Dec. 15. Auditions will be held at The Space at Orangewood, 1300 Maitland Boulevard in Maitland. The Vine Theatre is looking for male and female actors and singers ages 20-40. The ability to play any type of musical instrument is a plus. Keyboard and drums will be provided. Please prepare a one-minute monologue of your choice and 32 bars of a song to be sung acapella. This production will open Dec. 22 and run for four weeks at Theatre Downtown. Rehearsal information will be posted at the audition. All roles are available. Compensation is provided. Email email@example.com to schedule your appointment.
Educational programs include:
* The Humor Mill Orlando Sketch Comedy troupe announces its Winter 2013 Class offerings, including Sketch Comedy for Actors, Sketch Comedy for the High School Actor and Professional Sketch Comedy training program Level One Auditions. Log on to www.thehumormillorlando.com for more information on class pricing and dates and times of the classes.
* Stevie Vallance is coming to Orlando on Saturday and Sunday to teach an animation V/O class. If you want to break into the world of cartoons, then this is the class you need. Sign up here at http://toonedin.ca/workshops-skypes–demos.html.
If you’re a comedian or a ‘character actor’ check out Stevie’s workshops on ANIMATION VOICE-OVER ACTING.
Each week Central Florida Theatre in Process will provide resources and links to a variety of events playing in the Central Florida area, along with news and views! To get involved, join the conversation at our Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/277284114334/.
Contact John DiDonna at FreelineOrlando@gmail.com.