Each week CFTiP provides resources and links to a variety of events playing in the Central Florida area, along with news and views! To get involved, join the conversation at our Facebook group by becoming a member at https://www.facebook.com/groups/277284114334/.
Events this weekend include:
* “The Miss Firecracker Contest” by Beth Henley at the Annie Russell Theatre at Rollins College in Winter Park.
A glittering explosion of laughs is expected to sparkle throughout Beth Henley’s story of one small Mississippi town’s biggest annual celebration: the 4th of July Festival and beauty pageant. Carnelle has quite the reputation as a less-than-respectable young lady of Brookhaven. But she is determined to trade in her undesired (yet deserved) nickname of “Miss Hot Tamale” for the glamorous coveted title of “Miss Firecracker.”
For the Box Office, call 407-646-2145.
Discounts are available for current students with a valid ID, and group rates are also available.
For info: http://www.facebook.com/events/111553708997284/, or log on to www.rollins.edu/annierussell.
* “Savage In Limbo”, an Art’s Sake Resident Ensemble Production at the Art’s Sake Studio in Winter Park.
Five lost souls, and one last call. John Patrick Shanley’s “Savage in Limbo” offers a unique view into the lives of five 32-year-olds in a Brooklyn bar trying to negotiate their mangled lives, romances, demons, disappointments and friendships.
The show runs Fridays and Saturdays, from Sept. 21 through Oct. 6 at 8 p.m. For reservations, email email@example.com or call 407-494-5425. The general admission is $12, and $10 for students and seniors.
For info: http://www.facebook.com/events/502098236486814/.
This show is has mature themes and language and is for adult audiences only.
* “The Complete Works of Shakespeare (Abridged)” at the Orlando Shakespeare Theater in the Lowndes Shakespeare Center at Loch Haven Park in Orlando) The Three Stooges meet The History Channel when three merry men in tights weave their wicked way through all 37 of Shakespeare’s comedies, histories, and tragedies. The show runs Sept. 12 through Oct. 7. Tickets, priced at $20-$40, are on sale now by calling 407-447-1700 or logging on to http://www.orlandoshakes.org/. Student Rush tickets are available 30 minutes before show time. This is rated for general audiences.
Take $10 off evening performances on Sept. 26, 27, and 28 only with Coupon Code: ABRIDGED.
* “Pete ‘n” Keely” at the Winter Park Playhouse is a musical comedy. America’s favorite singing couple reunite live on national television, five years after their divorce. This show runs Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays at 2 p.m., Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30 p.m. Industry discounts are available at every performance while tickets last. For reservations, which are recommended, call 407-645-0145 or log on to www.winterparkplayhouse.org.
* “Wait Until Dark” runs Sept. 21 through Oct. 14 at the Bay Street Players in Eustis. To reach the Box Office, call 352-357-7777 or book online at baystreetplayers.org. The show is performed at the historic State Theatre in downtown Eustis. A blind woman plays a deadly game of survival …. This is an intense thriller that may not be suitable for young children.
* “Miss Saigon” is being performed at the Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center in Sanford. The musical by Alain Boublil, Claude Michel Scoenberg and Richard Maltby, Jr. is based on Puccini’s “Madama Butterfly.” The show is performed with a live orchestra. Performances are now through Sept. 23, Thursdays through Saturdays at 7:30 p.m., Sundays at 2 p.m. There are $10 tickets on Thursdays if you tell the Box Office you ‘work in the industry.’
For information, log on to https://www.facebook.com/WDPAC)/ or call 407-321-8111, or visit www.wdpac.com.
* “Of Mice and Men” has its final three performances at Theatre Downtown in Orlando. This is the American classic of friendship and sacrifice that plays tonight through Saturday at 8 p.m. Tickets are $20 for adults, with special discounts for students and seniors. Call 407 841-0083 for reservations.
Log on to www.theatredowntown.net for this show with some mature themes.
* “THE PAPER BAG PRINCESS” runs through Sept. 30 at The REP in Orlando)! Tickets start at $11, with public performances on Saturdays and Sundays at 2 and 5:30 p.m. Call 407-896-7365 for tickets, or log on to http://www.orlandorep.com/Index.aspx.
Upcoming special events include:
* The Orlando Shakespeare Theater’s essential Shakespeare training is a new educational program. If you are an actor who is afraid of Shakespeare, you just haven’t met the right classes! It’s truly not intimidating once you learn the basics. These classes are designed to eliminate your “Shakesfeare.” No previous Shakespeare acting experience is required.
Upcoming dates for these classes include Oct. 9-30, a four week session that runs on Tuesdays from 7-10 p.m. Tuition is $150.
The first rehearsals of any Orlando Shakes production are devoted to paraphrasing. In this class, actors will learn how to paraphrase Shakespeare into modern speech, find an emotional connection to the lines, and translate those discoveries to Shakespeare’s text.
Register at www.orlandoshakes.org or call 407-447-1700, Ext 208.
* The Greater Orlando Actors Theatre is having a three-week intensive with Dennis Neal! For info: https://www.facebook.com/events/329016003861114/.
Upcoming auditions include:
* DANCER AUDITIONS at Emotions Dance Company in Orlando. Emotions Dance seeks professional dancers for their upcoming season of works. There are three females, three males, and one apprentice spot open.
For info: https://www.facebook.com/events/349750175108197/ or log on to www.emotionsdance.org.
* “Playfest! The Harriet Lake Festival of New Plays” at the Orlando Shakespeare Theater in partnership with the University of Cental Florida is holding an Equity & Non-Equity open call. For more information, visit http://orlandoshakes.org/auditions.
Auditions will be held on Thursday, Sept. 25 from 4-8 p.m. at the John & Rita Lowndes Shakespeare Center, 812 E. Rollins St. in Orlando.
For an audition time, email Melissa E. Koerner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, visit http://orlandoshakes.org/auditions.
* “Oleanna” will be presented by the Valencia College Humanities Speaker Series, in the Valencia College Black Box in Orlando. This is David Mamet’s searing play about power and sexual exploitation on a college campus. There will be free performances and talk backs on Sept. 27 at 7:30 p.m. and Sept. 28 at 1 p.m. For info: https://www.facebook.com/events/270801333037098/272899709493927/?notif_t=plan_mall_activity.
This show is rated for mature audiences.
* “The Exit Interview” will be performed at the Orlando Shakespeare Theater at the Lowndes Shakespeare Center. Nothing is taboo in this raucous comedy about the “Big Three” — Religion, Sex and Politics. One of the funniest and smartest contemporary comedies in years, this is a National New Play Network Rolling World Premiere. The play runs Sept. 27 through Oct. 21.
Tickets, priced at $22, are on sale now by calling 407-447-1700 or logging on to http://orlandoshakes.org/.
Half-price tickets are available to “The Exit Interview” for Sept. 29 and 30, and Oct. 4 with Coupon Code: EXIT. Tickets subject to availability.
Contact us at FreelineOrlando@gmail.com.