And now — on to the show(s)!
Productions opening include:
* Opening this Saturday is Wanzie’s GLITTERING STAR-STUDDED A CHRISTMAS CAROL: A Dickens’ Inspired Celebrity Cavalcade Holiday Spectacle — with special guest star Ryan Gossling as Scrooge, Liza Minnelli as Tiny Tim, Marlee Matlin as Bob Crachit and his wife played by none other than Joan Crawford. It’s the most twisted version of the Dickens’ classic you’ll ever see, and see it you must, as this is the very last year for this production.
Also starring Carol Lee, Doug White, Gidget Galore, Miss Sammy, Wanzie and puppet master Doug Ba’aser, it will be performed on Saturdays, starting Nov. 24 and continuing Dec. 1, 8, 15, and 22 at 7:30 p.m. at the Footlight Theatre at the Parliament House Resort on Orange Blossom Trail!. Ticket price includes complimentary club admission for the remainder of the evening: $16 in advance, $20 at the door if available. Reservations can be made by calling 407-540-0317.
And how is this show rated? “God Help Us, Everyone!” There’s an F-bomb here or there, but no nudity, violence, or adult content — totally safe for teens, in other words. Those 13 years old and up are welcome to attend with a parent or guardian. Those under 18 must exit the complex after the show.
* Theatre Downtown presents A CHRISTMAS CAROL! This classic telling of the Charles Dickens beloved story has something for everyone — music, dance, and all the characters you’ve grown to love (or hate!) from the mind of Charles Dickens. The show runs Nov. 23 to Dec. 23. Curtain is at 8 p.m., but arrive early for caroling in the lobby! Tickets are $20, and $16 for seniors and students.
This show is suitable — and fun — for all audiences.
Call 407-841-0083 for reservations. Book now for the holidays!
For information, visit www.theatredowntown.net.
* The Bella – ME Dance, Inc. has shows Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the John and Rita Lowndes Shakespeare Center at The Mandell Theatre. ME Dance, Inc. is the newest professional Dance Organization located in the heart of Central Florida. Come and experience the true beauty of dance. The human experience of love is designed for the sole purpose of showing you what you truly are; it is designed to illumine the nature of your true beauty and the Bella of Dance. To reserve your tickets,visit http://MEdance.org. ME Dance, Inc. is a not for profit arts organization. Patrons like you the will help the arts strive here in Central Florida.
Ticket prices are $20 for general admission.
* Jacob Marley’s Christmas Carol is being presented by the Bay Street Players at the historic State Theatre, 109 N. Bay St. in downtown Eustis. This is Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol” told from Jacob Marley’s point of view. The show will be performed on Sunday and Dec. 2 and Dec. 9 at 7:30 p.m. it was directed by Joel Warren.
Continuing productions — including some final weekends! — include:
* Junior Claus continues this weekend at The Orlando Repertory Theatre! This weekend only, the REP will be running its “Turkey Ticket Offer” – buy one ticket to “Junior Claus” for Saturday’s or Sunday’s show, and get two tickets of equal or lesser value FREE! This show is perfect for bringing family and friends to the theater after feasting!
For info: http://www.facebook.com/OrlandoRepertoryTheatre or http://www.orlandorep.com/event/junior-claus/.
* Final weekend!!! for “Best of Broadway: 1985-1989″ at the Breakthrough Theatre in Winter Park.
For info: http://www.facebook.com/events/260182184084484/.
This weekend if the final performance of the Florida premeire of THE TEMPERAMENTALS, an important, moving, sexual, and illuminating historically acurate drama laced with camp and humor. The last show is Monday, Nov. 26 at 7:30 p.m. Produced by Wanzie Presents at The Footlight Theatre at The Parliament House Resort, tickets $15 in advance. For reservations dial 407-540-0317. Tickets at the door, if available, are $18.
This show contains adult situations, but is not at all unsuitable for teens.
* SAK Comedy Lab is a 200-seat improv comedy theater in downtown Orlando. Conveniently located at the City Arts Factory’s second floor at 29 S. Orange Ave., SAK performs LIVE improv comedy shows that are fun and suitable for all ages, Tuesdays through Saturdays. They have a new show on Fridays at 11:30 p.m., “The Brawl for All” is back! Check out the Web site for more information: www.sak.com.
Upcoming auditions include:
* Auditions are being held for the Bay Street Players’ upcoming production of AVENUE Q on Monday, Nov. 26 and Tuesday, Nov. 27 from 7-10 p.m. by appointment only at the State Theatre in downtown Eustis. All roles are available. Prepare 16-32 bars of song in the style of the show, and bring sheet music in the correct key. No CD accompaniments, please! Prepare a one to two minute comic monolog. Call the box office at 352-357-7777 for appointment or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you email, please put AVENUE Q AUDITION in the subject line.
* Auditions for Les Miserables in Concert will be held on Dec. 3 from 7:30–10 p.m. at the Church of the Messiah, 241 N. Main St. in Winter Garden. All roles are open. Sign Ups are required, so go to www.byyoursideministries.com and receive audition materials by email.
Director Dave Gillum played several roles in “Les Mis” on Broadway, in addition to understudying Michael Crawford as “Phantom of the Opera” and playing the title role in “Jesus Christ Superstar” during the Broadway tour.
Educational events include:
FRINGE PRODUCER WORKSHOPis a fantastic workshop opportunity for all you budding theater producers or recent Fringe Lottery Winners! Tickets are now available online, so get them now at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Orlandotheatrenetwork/461427130570116/?comment_id=461427877236708¬if_t=group_comment#!/events/282267711887041/.
* Stevie Vallance is coming to Orlando on Dec. 8-9 to teach an animation V/O class. If you want to break into the world of cartoons, then this is the class you need. Sign up at http://toonedin.ca/workshops-skypes–demos.html.
Here’s an eTalk interview with LA Casting & Voice Director for Animation, Stevie Vallance
If you’re a comedian or a ‘character actor’ check out Stevie’s workshops on ANIMATION VOICE-OVER ACTING on Dec 8 & 9 in Orlando, FL! http://toonedin.ca/workshops-skypes-demos.html
Each week Central Florida Theatre in Process will provide resources and links to a variety of events playing in the Central Florida area, along with news and views! To get involved, join the conversation at our Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/277284114334/.
Contact John DiDonna at FreelineOrlando@gmail.com.